Support the trust > Volunteer
Volunteers are essential to the running of the SPT and we are very grateful for their help. However, volunteering can also offer great benefits to those who give their time:
- Boost confidence and learn new skills
- Meet a variety of new people
- Get involved in helping your local community
- Get some fresh air and exercise while enjoying the beautiful Suffolk countryside
What tasks can volunteers do?
- Meeting and greeting visitors - in the Visitor centre, reception, shop and exhibition areas
- Admin duties in the office - to support the management team and help run events
- Assisting stable grooms with demos and talking to visitors about the animals
- General maintenance work - such as fence repairs, grass cutting, painting and carpentry on the farm and in the visitor centre area.
- Guiding and assisting with group visits - talking to groups about the Trust's work and guiding the wagon rides
- Gardening - Planting and general upkeep of the Heritage Garden year round
Who can volunteer?
Most of our regular volunteers are adults, though some young volunteers help in the stables and do work experience from local schools (minimum age is 14 with parental permission).
We also welcome businesses to volunteer - it can provide a cost-effective way of improving cross-team working, staff retention and morale, as well as developing employees.
All volunteers are given relevant training, resources and guidance about their duties.
You need your own means of transport to get to The Suffolk Punch Trust.
We offer lots of tea and coffee but you need to supply your own attire or lunch (or buy it from the cafe).
When can I volunteer?
At any time of the year - roles in the visitor centre and at events are more seasonal but there is maintenance and stable work year round.
Any time you can give is helpful. Volunteers usually commit to regular days but others who can do half days or be flexible are also a great support. Rotas are updated regularly.
How can I find out more?
We sometimes hold volunteer information recruitment and information days.
In the first instance, contact us to arrange an informal chat on 01394 411327 or firstname.lastname@example.org